Non-urgent help and support for sexual violence 

At the University:

You can contact one of the Advisors below through the Report & Support process or go direct
  • Sexual & Domestic Violence Response Advisor: to make an appointment contact the Sexual & Domestic Violence Response Advisor on 01273 075241 or email
  • The Student Life Centre Phone for a priority appointment 01273 876767 with a Student Advisor or email
  • Residential Life team  If you live in campus accommodation, you can reach this team on  01273 877250 between 8am and 6pm and for emergencies only, out-of-hours by calling Security 01273 873333.
All the University teams above will talk you through the options available to you and support you through approaching external services or reporting to the Police or Student Discipline if this is something you decide to do.

External Services:
  • The Saturn Centre (Sexual Assault Referral Centre at Crawley Hospital ).  Call 0800 0337797 for advice from the 24hr on-call-team.  You can self-refer there for crisis support, medical care and to store forensic evidence while deciding whether you want to report to the police. 
  • The Solar Clinic at the Royal Sussex Hospital in Brighton (9am-5pm Monday to Friday), call 01273 523388 option 2.  You can access STI testing, emergency contraception and crisis support here.  
  • Police 999 (emergency) 101 (non-emergency)  If you do report to the police, they may take you to The Saturn Centre for crisis support, medical care & forensics after taking a statement from you. 
  • The National Male Survivor Helpline - 0808 800 5005. 
  • Rape Crisis National Helpline - 0808 802 9999.
  • Independent Sexual Violence Advisors (ISVA)  Call 01273 203380 x103 or email:  who will  provide information and support no matter when the sexual violence or abuse happened.  Their main focus is around the criminal justice process, including talking through reporting options, support with communication with the police, support in the lead up to a trial, or with concerns about a case that has previously been reported to the police. 
  • Survivors' Network  Call  01273 203380  Brighton.  Local representation of Rape Crisis.  Support services including drop-ins & counselling for all genders (14–18yrs) and self-identifying women survivors of sexual abuse.  Helpline:  01273 720110 (check hours on website).
  • Mankind  Call 01273 911680 (answerphone) Hove.  Support for self-identifying men (18+) survivors of sexual abuse and their partners, families and friends through 1:1 counselling, therapeutic groups and couples  

Historical sexual violence and abuse

If you have experienced sexual violence or abuse in the past (before University or in your childhood, you can make an appointment to talk to our Sexual & Domestic Violence Response Advisor by emailing or any Student Life Advisor.

If you are reporting this experience using our Report + Support tool, you can ask to be contacted directly by one of these staff members during the reporting process.

You can also request counselling from the University Counselling Service.

You may want to consider reporting this directly to the police or through our local branch of  Rape Crisis Survivors' Network  or Mankind who can also support you in a variety of ways, including their ISVA (Independent Sexual Violence Advisor) advocacy service.  Victim Support can also provide  help and support independent of the university.

What is sexual violence?
What to do if you have just been raped or sexually assaulted (students)

There are two ways you can tell us what happened