University Support

You can get support from an Advisor within 5 days by following the Report + Support process.

If you need more urgent support, you can contact the help we've listed direct and in confidence.  All advisors are specially trained to respond to domestic abuse and can talk to you in confidence about your situation.   On very rare occasions, we may have to breach confidentiality, but we would always tell you, if possible, and would always prefer to have your consent.  This would include:
  • Where there are concerns about a child’s safety.
  • Where there are concerns that your life or another person's life might be at risk. 
It would have to be an extreme emergency for them to take any action without either your knowledge or consent.

It can be very difficult to recognise and acknowledge that you are being abused as it can feel disempowering and you may have concerns about the repercussions of talking to someone about it or about causing distress to others.  Our Advisors are here just to talk to you  and their aim is to empower you to make choices about what to do next.  They will not take over or push you into making decisions.  What you do next is up to you. 

Who can help?

  • Sexual  & Domestic Violence Response Advisor: to make an appointment contact the Sexual & Domestic Violence Response Advisor on 01273 075241 or email
  • Student Life Advisors  Call the Student Life Centre  for a priority appointment 01273 876767 or email
  • Residential Life Managers  If you live in campus accommodation, you can reach the Residential Life team on  01273 877250 between 8am and 6pm and for emergencies only, out-of-hours by calling Security 01273 87(3333).

How can they help?

  • They can assess your risk by talking to you and asking you to fill out a risk assessment.
  • They can  talk you through the options available to you.
  • They can arrange for temporary emergency accommodation for you on campus.
  • They can alert Security so that this team will respond to any call from you on campus more quickly.
  •  They can support you in a referral to specialist domestic abuse services. 
  • They can support you in reporting to the police if this is what you decide to do.
  • They can support you in reporting to Student Discipline and tell you about additional safety measures that can be put in place (precautionary action) if this what you decide to do.
  • They can support you to report any abuse that you are experiencing from a member of staff.
  • They can refer you for counselling at the University.
Or they can just listen..............

External Specialist Services

Victim Support
Specialist domestic abuse support for Brighton & Hove, call 0300 323 9985  Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm or their 24/7 support line on 0808 1689111 24/7.  They will provide independent information, advice, support & advocacy to victims and survivors of domestic abuse including:
  • access to 24/7 helpline & webchat 0808 168 9111.
  • 1-2-1 casework support from trained Independent Domestic Violence Advocates (IDVAs).
  • Hospital IDVA based at the Royal Sussex County Hospital.
  • Criminal Justice IDVA to provide support through the criminal justice system.
CGL (Change Grow Live)
Specialist domestic abuse support for East Sussex, call 0300 323 9985, Monday - Friday 9am-5pm or email:


There are two ways you can tell us what happened